- 1595-1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Thorp Arch was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. It was appropriated to the Chapel of St Mary and the Holy Angels at York by Adam de Brus and his wife Ivetta de Arches. A vicarage was ordained there in 1258. The advowson was purchased by Lady Elizabeth Hastings before her death in 1739 but had passed to the Wheeler family by the 1840s.
The present church, which is dedicated to All Saints, dates to the twelfth century. It was rebuilt in 1756 at the expense of William Gossip, owner of the Thorp Arch estate, and then restored in 1871-1872 by architect George Edmund Street. In 1944 a new choir screen and altar rails were added by Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson of Kilburn. A new vicarage house was built in 1729 and replaced in 1904.
Today Thorp Arch is part of the benefice of Bramham, which also includes Boston Spa, Bramham and Walton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1816-1862, and fabric papers, 1938-1961; records of incumbents, including parsonage house papers, 1976-1983; school records, including managers' minute book, 1904-1976, managers' and visitors' book, 1905-1947; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including enclosure award and map, 1829, minutes of meetings, 1818-1890, 1920-1950, accounts, 1928-1938, 1943-1973 and enclosure act, 1816.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material