- 1656-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Thorpe Bassett from at least the twelfth century. It was given to the Abbot and Convent of St Alban’s by Berenger de Toeni and Aubreye his wife and confirmed to them by King John (1199-1216). In 1315 the Abbot and Convent granted the advowson to Ralph, heir to the estates of John de Greystoke, and the family retained it until the marriage of Elizabeth de Greystoke and Thomas, Lord Dacre c.1488, after which time it passed to the Dacres and then later to the Earls of Carlisle.
The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints, dates to the twelfth century. It was restored by architects Paley and Austin of Lancaster in 1879-1880, at which time the north aisle and chancel were rebuilt, a vestry was added and the whole church was re-roofed. There was also a rectory house from at least the eighteenth century.
Today the church is part of the benefice of Buckrose Carrs, which also includes Rillington, Scampston, Sherburn, West Heslerton and Yedingham.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material