- 1570-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.49 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Tadcaster from at least the twelfth century when it was given by the Percy family to Sawley Abbey, together with a chapel at Hazlewood. A vicarage was ordained there c.1290. The abbey held the church until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when its estates, including Tadcaster Church, were granted to Sir Arthur Darcy. By the 1820s the patronage was in the hands of the Earl of Egremont and by 1855 it was held by Colonel Wyndham. Since 1934 it has been held by the Archbishop of York.
The original parish church was burned by the Scots in 1314 and rebuilt as the present church of St Mary. The tower was added in the fifteenth century. The entire building, excepting only the tower, was taken down and rebuilt in 1877 to the design of architect Edward Birchall of Leeds. The north aisle was extended and the vestries enlarged in 1897, and the church was extensively repaired in the 1950s.
The parish vicarage originally stood between Kirkgate and Chapel Street. It was used as a school for a short time in the nineteenth century, before it was renovated in 1891 and once again used as a vicarage. In 1938 it was replaced by a larger building in Station Road, Highfield, and in 1964 this was in turn replaced by the present building, also in Highfield.
The parish includes Hazlewood and Stutton. A wooden mission church was built at Stutton at the end of the nineteenth century and sold in 2014. There was also a chapel of ease at Hazlewood from the twelfth century.
The parish is notable for its early Sunday School, established in 1788.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Revised by S. Kent, September 2016.