- 1599-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
8 boxes and 1 oversize folder
Name of creator
The present parish church of Terrington dates to at least the eleventh century and may be Saxon in origin. The advowson was held in part by Anketin Mallory, lord of the manor of Wiganthorpe, and his wife Sarah in 1246, when it was quitclaimed to them by the Archbishop of York.
By the fourteenth century the manor was held by the Stapletons, with the advowson of the church divided between them and the Salvin family. The Stapletons were succeeded in the lordship by the Methams, who acquired the Salvin portion and subsequently sold the whole advowson to John Micklethwaite in 1654.
The nave of the church was largely rebuilt in the twelfth century and the whole building was expanded in the fourteenth. The tower is believed to have been added in the fifteenth century. The church was restored in 1870 by architect Ewan Christian at the instigation of then rector, Samuel Wimbush. A large rectory house was built in 1827 and then replaced in 1868.
The parish includes Ganthorpe, Mowthorpe and Wiganthorpe. A chapel of ease, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, was recorded at Ganthorpe in the first half of the sixteenth century, although this was leased to Francis Metham in 1560 and was not mentioned thereafter.
Today the parish is part of the Howardian Group benefice, which also includes Bulmer, Dalby, Huttons Ambo, and Welburn.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Brierley Groom, architects of York (Subject)