- 1653-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
6 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a church at Thorganby was in 1228 when Robert de Meynell claimed the advowson. By 1312 it was regarded as a chapelry of Aughton parish and was appropriated, together with Aughton Church, to the priory of Ellerton by 1351. It was held by the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, after which it treated as a separate curacy and then described as a vicarage after 1872. From 1872 the patronage was held by the Dunnington-Jefferson family. The benefice was augmented in 1799 and 1817. In 1967 it was united with that of Skipwith.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Helen, dates in part to the fourteenth and fifteenth century. The nave and porch were rebuilt in 1710 and the chancel was rebuilt in 1719. The church was restored and redecorated in 1948. The churchyard was extended in 1897 and 1966. The church includes a 1979 monument to John Dunnington-Jefferson, carved by Dick Reid, and the churchyard includes a 1970 ledger stone to Canon Hedley, designed by George Pace.
There was a ‘priest house’ at Thorganby by the late sixteenth century, which may have served as a vicarage. The curate lived in the village schoolhouse in the eighteenth century, and then at a new parsonage house from 1835. From 1880 the vicar lived at Thorganby House, and then at Hedley House from 1926 to 1967. Since then, the vicar has lived at Skipwith.
The parish includes the township of West Cottingwith. Today Thorganby is part of the benefice of Derwent Ings, which also includes East Cottingwith, Elvington, Sutton upon Derwent and Wheldrake.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material