- 1615-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Thornton on Spalding Moor was originally a chapelry of Pocklington. It was given by the King, together with Pocklington and another chapel at Allerthorpe, to the Archbishop of York and York Minster between 1100 and 1108, and confirmed by the King in 1119-1129. The church was subsequently granted to the Dean of York and remained subject to the Dean’s peculiar jurisdiction until 1844 when it returned to the Archbishop of York, who in 1871 gave it to the Crown in exchange for the church of St Mary with St Nicholas, Beverley.
In 1252 a vicarage was ordained jointly at Thornton and Allerthorpe and the two were still a united benefice in 1974. Although Thornton and Allerthorpe had the right to perform baptisms and marriages after 1252, the right of burial was reserved to Pocklington until 1360.
The present parish church of Thornton, which is dedicated to St Michael, dates to the fourteenth century. The church was repaired in the sixteenth century and restored in 1890-1892 by architect Ewan Christian, at which time a new vestry was added and the church’s heavy brick bell turret was replaced. The churchyard was extended in 1926. There was a parsonage house by 1616 but by 1809 the vicar resided in Allerthorpe and the Thornton house was subsequently demolished.
The parish includes the village of Melbourne. An iron mission chapel was built at Melbourne in 1882, dedicated to St Monica. Today the parish of Thornton and Melbourne is part of the Barmby Moor Group benefice, which also includes Barmby Moor, Fangfoss and Yapham cum Meltonby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes register of christenings, 1615-1996 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1779-1812); register of marriages, 1615-1985; register of burials, 1615-1873 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1779-1812); register of banns, 1861-1941; register of services, 1893-1960; records concerning benefice income, including accounts and correspondence, 1873, 1876, tithe correspondence, 1862-1863, 1876, correspondence and papers, 1865, 1915, glebe correspondence, 1900-1901, and sequestration accounts, 1947-1948; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1822-1939, restoration papers, 1886, 1890-1892, fabric papers, 1954-1971, and churchyard papers, 1921; records of incumbents, including parsonage house papers, 1881-1912, 1920, statistical returns, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1970, and benefice papers, 1976-1981; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including Mothers' Union minutes of meetings, 1961-1964, and programme for parish show, 1930; school papers, 1877, 1903; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1948-1962, accounts, 1921-1998, and wayleave agreement and map, 1979.
Records of St Monica’s Chapel, Melbourne, including register of marriage, 1990-1993; register of banns, 1943-1946; register of services, 1889-1996; churchwardens’ fabric papers, 1851, 1949; overseers’ correspondence, 1874; school correspondence, 1871-1874; Melbourne Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes, 1937-1997, account book, 1975-1982, and papers relating to electoral roll, n.d; correspondence concerning the closure of St Monica’s, 1997.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material