- 1538-1994 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church at Wharram le Street dates to at least the twelfth century, although its tower may be Anglo-Saxon. It was given by Robert and William Fossard to Nostell Priory at its foundation in 1120-1122. It was a peculiar of the Prebend of Bramham, which was annexed to the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when the parish became subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York.
The living was augmented in 1773 and 1788. In 1833 the benefice of Wharram le Street was united with that of nearby Wharram Percy. By this time the patronage of the church was held by the Willoughby family, Barons Middleton.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Mary, was restored in 1862-1863 by J. B. and W. Atkinson, at the expense of Lord Middleton. A vicarage was built in 1886.
In 1971 the parish united with that of Wharram Percy. Today the parish of Wharram Percy with Wharram le Street is part of the benefice of Weaverthorpe with Helperthorpe and Luttons Ambo, which also includes Kirby Grindalythe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material