- 1934-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
Wass was part of the parish of Coxwold until 1732 when it became part of the new parish of Kilburn. However a change in the parish boundaries resulted in Wass being transferred back to Coxwold parish in 1956.
Until the 1860s parishioners worshipped at St Michael’s Church in Coxwold (until 1732) and then at St Mary’s Church, Kilburn. In 1866 the village schoolroom was consecrated as a chapel of ease to Kilburn and was used as both church and school until 1933, when the school closed. From then on the building was used exclusively as a chapel.
The chapel, which is dedicated to St Thomas, has only one room and no central aisle, stained glass or church tower. It also has no churchyard, with villagers continuing to be buried at their parish church in Coxwold.
Today Wass is a chapelry in the parish of Coxwold and is part of the benefice of Coxwold and Husthwaite, which also includes Carlton Husthwaite.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material