- 1688-[1990s] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Weaverthorpe from at least the early twelfth century when it was given by the Archbishop of York to Herbert the Chamberlain. Herbert’s son, William, granted it to canons of Nostell Priory.
The advowson was reserved to Archbishop Walter de Grey in 1247 and in 1269 it was formally granted to the Dean and Chapter of York. A vicarage was ordained there in 1300. The parish remained subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until the nineteenth century.
The parish included chapels of ease at East and West Lutton (also known by their combined name of Luttons Ambo), although both villages separated from Weaverthorpe to become part of Helperthorpe parish in January 1856.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Andrew, dates to the early twelfth century and may have been built on the site of an earlier Saxon structure. It was restored by architect George Edmund Street in 1872, at the expense of Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere Hall. A vicarage house was built in 1867.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Weaverthorpe with Helperthorpe and Luttons Ambo, which also includes Kirby Grindalythe and Wharram le Street.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material