- 1549-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
5 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
There was a church at Westow from at least the twelfth century, when it was granted to Kirkham Priory by Walter Espec. It was appropriated to them in 1311 and a vicarage was ordained there from at least 1294, when the earliest known vicar is recorded. The Priory held the patronage until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown and subsequently to the Archbishop of York.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Mary, was known as St Mary of the Moor, or St Mary ad mora, on account of its location. The present building dates to around the fifteenth century, although some interior fittings are older. The church was repaired in 1801 and the chancel was restored by architect Ewan Christian in 1862. In 1864 the whole church was rebuilt, but for the tower, by architects Mallinson & Healey of Bradford. The south porch was reconstructed by George Pace in 1973.
The church also includes a stained glass window by J. W. Knowles, stained glass painters of York, and a pulpit carved by Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson in 1951. A new vicarage house was built in 1869.
The parish includes Eddlethorpe, Firby, Menethorpe and Kirkham. Today Westow is part of the united parish and benefice of West Buckrose, which includes Burythorpe, Settrington, Langton, Acklam, Birdsall, North Grimston and Leavening.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material