- 1603-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.55 cubic metres
35 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Wheldrake was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. The advowson was gifted by the Darel family to Warter Priory and confirmed to them c.1170-1181, although it was surrendered to the Archbishop of York in 1268 and has been held by the Archbishop since that date.
The present parish church of St Helen dates largely to 1778-1779, although parts of the building, including the tower, are fourteenth and fifteenth century. After the eighteenth century rebuilding, the church was extensively restored in 1873 by architect John Thorp Webster of Hedon, with additional work by J. W. Knowles of York. A new organ was installed the following year and in 1910 a new pulpit and altar furnishings were made for the church by woodcarver Robert ‘Mouseman’ Thompson of Kilburn. The church was redecorated in 1972.
There was parsonage house in 1535. A house is recorded again in 1764 and it was enlarged around 1825. Part of the building was demolished in the 1930s and a new rectory was built in 1969.
Today the parish of Wheldrake is part of the benefice of Derwent Ings, which also includes East Cottingwith, Elvington, Sutton upon Derwent and Thorganby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material