fonds PR/WHEN - Parish records of Whenby

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of Whenby


  • 1556-1981 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.04 cubic metres

2 boxes and 2 rolls

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1250-1983)

Administrative history

There was a church at Whenby from at least 1250 when the patronage was held by the Prioress and nuns of Moxby. The church was granted to them in 1283 and a vicarage subsequently ordained there, although the patronage was transferred to the Archbishop of York.

The Archbishop held the patronage until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when it reverted back to the Crown, together with the rest of the possessions of Moxby Priory. It passed into lay hands in the reign of Elizabeth I and was later sold to the lord of the manor of Whenby and descended with the lordship. By the nineteenth century it was held by the Garforth family.

The parish church is dedicated to St Martin and dates to the fifteenth century. It was extensively restored between 1871 and 1910. It was declared redundant on 19 October 1983 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Whenby is now part of the parish of Dalby with Whenby.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1964 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1982 and 1984.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1556-1721, 1724-1737, 1751-1981; register of marriages, 1556-1721, 1724-1737, 1757-1976; register of burials, 1556-1721, 1724-1737, 1751-1812; register of banns, 1824-1977; register of services, 1943-1981; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1809-1897, restoration fund subscription list, 1868-1872, fabric papers, 1954-1979, and churchyard deed, 1962; constables’ accounts, 1808-1850; overseers’ accounts, 1808-1850; school records, including plans, n.d. [20th century], and correspondence, 1973-1974.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 1984.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1556-1885, marriages, 1556-1885, burials, 1556-1812, and banns, 1824-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 812, 1763).

Related units of description

The parish records of Dalby are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute, as is a survey of St Peter's Church, Dalby.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 21.03.16.




Accession area