- 1860-1872 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.03 cubic metres
Name of creator
Whitwell on the Hill was an extra-parochial area until 1861 when it was constituted as an ecclesiastical district. A parish church, dedicated to St John the Evangelist, was built to serve the area in 1858-1860 by architect George Edmund Street, at the expense of Lady Louisa Lechmere. Prior to this, inhabitants attended the parish church at Crambe.
Today the parish is part of the united benefice of Harton, which also includes Bossall, Buttercrambe, Crambe, Flaxton, Foston, Gate Helmsley, Howsham, Sand Hutton, and Upper Helmsley.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material