- 1691-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a chapel at Wigginton from at least the mid thirteenth century and a church was dedicated there in 1424. It belonged to the Cathedral Church of York and had been assigned by them to the Treasurer. The parish was therefore subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Treasurership until 1547 and thereafter was a peculiar within the Dissolved Treasurership until the nineteenth century. The patronage however passed to the Crown, excepting a short period in the seventeenth century when it was granted to the Knyvett and then the Howard families.
The present parish church was built in 1860 by Messrs Atkinson of York, replacing the medieval building that had stood on the same site. It was originally dedicated to St Nicholas, then later to St Mary & St Nicholas, before returning to its first dedication in 2008. The church comprises a small nave without aisles and can accommodate 150 people. A church hall was added in 1994-1995.
Today the parish is part of the benefice of Haxby (St Mary) and Wigginton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material