Name of creator
(fl 12th century-)
The present parish church of Wighill dates to the twelfth century. It was given to Healaugh Priory before 1228, and a vicarage subsequently ordained there. The living was augmented in 1764. In 1927 the benefice was united with that of Healaugh.
The church was restored in 1912-1913 by W. H. Brierley. Historically, the parish included East Follifoot and Wighill Park.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1976 by the Diocesan Registry. Further additions were made to the archive in 1978, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1992.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes register of christenings, 1717-1992 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1793-1812); register of marriages, 1717-1979; register of burials, 1717-1992 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1783-1812, ages only 1783-1793); register of banns, 1826-1946; register of services, 1866-1908, 1936-1984; records concerning benefice income, including glebe papers, 1910-1915; charity correspondence, 1928-1929; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1874-1903, 1908-40, restoration papers, 1911-1913, and fabric papers, 1873-1921; records of incumbents, including statistical returns, 1893-1895, 1910-1915, letter about union with Healaugh, 1927, and benefice papers, 1927; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including Wighill Fidelity Funeral and Brief Club accounts, 1856-1905; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1921-1979.
Further accruals are expected.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Selected records, including registers of christenings, 1717-1885, marriages, 1717-1885, burials, 1717-1992, and banns, 1826-1900, churchwardens' accounts, 1843-1897, marriage licenses, 1803-1900, church rate book, 1865-1869, accounts, 1692-1809, list of pews, 1789, papers concerning parish lands, 1796-1820, and index of papers, 1714-1798, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 815, 1581, 1763, 1778).
Related units of description