- 1618-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Wilberfoss from at least the mid twelfth century when it was given, together with its chapel at Newton upon Derwent, to Wilberfoss Priory. The gift was confirmed in 1233 and the church was appropriated to the Priory, although no vicarage was ordained there.
The advowson was held by the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time the patronage passed to the lords of the manor of Catton. By the 1820s it was held by the Wilberforce family. The patronage was transferred to the Archbishop of York in the 1950s.
The living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1764, 1786 and 1810 and by parliamentary grant in 1819. Part of the 1819 grant was used to purchase a parsonage house, which was later sold in 1936. After 1872 the benefice was styled a vicarage and in 1959 it was united with that of Kexby.
The present parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist and dates to the twelfth century, with a thirteenth century arcade in the nave and a fifteenth century aisle, porch and tower. It was restored in 1868-1869.
Today the parish, which still includes Newton upon Derwent, is part of the benefice of Wilberfoss with Kexby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material