- 1558-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Wintringham from the twelfth century. It was granted by Eustace Fitz John to the newly founded Priory of Malton c.1150, and subsequently appropriated to them. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century it appears to have passed into private hands.
The parish church, which is dedicated to St Peter, was repaired in 1818 and restored in 1887-1893 by John Oldrid Scott, at the expense of A. J. Chomley of Place Newton. Temple Moore added oak fittings to the chancel screen and stalls in 1889-1891. The church is also notable for its fourteenth century stained glass.
The parish historically included East and West Knapton, Linton and Place Newton. There was a chapel at Knapton from the medieval period, although it became redundant in the 1970s.
St Peter’s Church was declared redundant in 2004 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Today its parishioners are part of the parish of Scampston with Wintringham within the benefice of Buckrose Carrs.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material