- 1590-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish church at Wistow dates to the twelfth century. The church was appropriated to the Prebendary of Wistow in the thirteenth century and remained subject to its peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth. Between 1761 and 1874 the parish had no resident vicar but was served by a curate in charge.
The church was extensively altered in the sixteenth century, with the rebuilding of the chancel and the addition of the church tower. It was restored in 1883-1884 by York architect James Demaine who added a vestry and organ chamber. The stained glass windows were repaired by J. W. Knowles. The church was refloored by Charles Hodgson Fowler in 1900 and the reredos and panelling repaired by W. H. Brierley in 1911.
Today Wistow is part of the benefice of Cawood with Ryther and Wistow.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material