fonds PR/Y/ASP - Parish records of York, All Saints, Pavement

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of York, All Saints, Pavement


  • 1296-2011 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.6 cubic metres

38 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1086-)

Administrative history

The church of the ancient parish of York All Saints Pavement has been tentatively identified as one of the eight York churches recorded in the Domesday book, when the patronage of the rectory was held by the Bishop of Durham as a gift of the king. Although briefly part of the archdeaconry of Cleveland in the 1160s, the parish of All Saints, Pavement has belonged to the archdeaconry of York since that time.

After the Dissolution, the Crown obtained patronage which was transferred to the Archbishop of York in 1868 with whom it remains. The benefice was augmented twice by Queen Anne’s bounty in 1763 and 1764, and again by parliamentary fund in 1815. All Saints Pavement has historically had strong links with the corporation and guilds and is the regimental church of the Royal Dragoon Guards.

The ancient parish of All Saints, Pavement persisted until 1586 when it was united with York, St Peter the Little as part of a widespread conglomeration of “decayed” City parishes into more viable units. In 1885 the parish of York, All Saints, Pavement with St Peter the Little was further augmented with the parish of York, St Crux, to form the ecclesiastical parish of York, All Saints, Pavement with St Peter the Little and St Crux.

In 1954 the parish of York St Saviour was also added, to form York, All Saints, Pavement and St Crux with St Saviour. Most recently, the parish of St Mary, Castlegate with St Michael, Spurriergate was united with All Saints, Pavement in 1987. This formed the present day ecclesiastical parish of York, All Saints, Pavement with St Crux and St Michael Spurriergate.

The parish church dates in part to the twelfth century but was almost completely rebuilt in the fourteenth. The west tower was added c.1400. The chancel and chancel aisles were taken down in 1782 and the church was extensively restored in 1834. In 1887 the east end of the church was rebuilt to a design by architect George Edmund Street.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1966 by the incumbent of the parish. Further additions were made to the archive in 1971, 1972, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2011.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1554-1885 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1812); register of marriages, 1555-1987); register of burials, 1554-1884 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1812); register of banns 1870-1926; register of services 1925-1930, 1943-1981; records concerning benefice income, including fees, c.1680, 1809, and sequestration papers, 1957 and 1971-1973; charity records, including minutes of meetings 1836, 1843, 1848-1862, accounts, 1600-1711, 1775-1975, rentals 1692, 1800, 1806, 1839, receipts for rents paid-by parish feoffees, 1549-1550, 1578-1583, 1656, 1664-1686, 1847, deeds for York City, 1339-1613, Tadcaster, 1297-1489; Youlthorpe, 1320-1488; Stillington, 1408; Skirpenbeck, 1296-1513, miscellaneous deeds 1587-1715, leases of parish lands, 1600-1816, papers concerning individual parish charities, 1652-2000; Feoffees' deeds and papers, 1296-1993; papers regarding property in Peasholme Green 1665-1920; papers regarding property in Burton Road, Clifton 1836-1916; estate papers, 17th century-20th century; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1568-1598, 1655-1712, 1790-1793, 1836-1839, 1846-1961, briefs, 1668-1697, 1713-1733, rating assessment 1666; bonds for debt and other similar matters 1566-1653, receipts for reader and parish clerk 1665-1713; papers and plans relating to church restorations and repairs, 1921-2002, and fabric papers 1778-1783, 1836-1838, 1854-1980; constables’ accounts, 1647-1697, 1709, 1711, and assessment, 1648; records of incumbents, including correspondence, 1974-1979, parsonage house papers, 1973-1984, benefice papers, 1987, rectory papers, 1973-1984, and service papers, 1972-1986; overseers’ records, including apprenticeship indentures, 1758-1768, 1807-1838, assessments, 1823-1826, and bastardy bond 1768; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1854-1921, 1931-2005, accounts, 1955-1967, electoral rolls, 1920-2011, insurance papers, 1907-1915, application for post of bell-ringer and organ-blower, 1908, and parish boundaries map 1975; papers relating to the church silver, 1973-1974; papers concerning legal dispute between churchwardens of All Saints Pavement and St Peter the Little, 1827-1828; papers supporting ownership of St Crux Hall and Yard by the Rector and Churchwardens of All Saints Pavement, including St Crux Parish Room and Mission Ground account book 1889-1958, and correspondence; faculties, 1998-2000; terriers and inventories, 1975, 1997; MAP Archaeological Consultancy Ltd reports, 1996-1998; photographs of church exterior and interior with fittings, 1884, 1990s, 2001; 4 slides of stained glass, with accompanying letter, n.d.; original watercolour of All Saints 1899 by Mabel Leaf, correspondence and newspaper cuttings concerning its identification, 1995; video of All Saints and St Crux, 30 minutes, 1987; parish newsletter, 1986-1991.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Includes slides and a VHS videotape. Access to audiovisual material may be restricted due to technical requirements, please contact the Borthwick Institute for more information.

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2011.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Selected records, including registers of christenings, 1554-1885, marriages, 1554-1977, burials, 1554-1844, and banns, 1870-1900, accounts, 1823-1900, register of apprenticeship, 1807-1838, and terrier, 1716, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 822-823, 1755, 1779, 1777).

Related units of description

For related material held by the Borthwick Institute, see the parish records of York, St Denys and St George which include a map showing alterations of the areas of the parishes of All Saints and St Crux with St Saviour and St Sampson with Holy Trinity, King's Court; St Michael le Belfrey and Holy Trinity, Goodramgate; St Cuthbert; Holy Trinity, Heworth; and St Denys, 1975.

Publication note

Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The Parish Register of All Saints' Church, Pavement, in the City of York, 1554-1690.' Edited by T. M. Fisher (1934).

Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The Parish Registers of All Saints' Church, Pavement, in the City of York, 1690-1738.' Edited by T. M. Fisher (1936).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 09.11.15




Accession area