fonds PR/Y/BAR - Parish records of York, St Barnabas

Identity area

Reference code

PR/Y/BAR

Title

Parish records of York, St Barnabas

Date(s)

  • 1877-2003 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.3 cubic metres

20 boxes and 2 rolls

Context area

Name of creator

(1912-)

Administrative history

The parish of York St Barnabas grew out of a mission church set up in a school room in the Foundry district in the parish of St Paul. The unit was originally known as St Paul’s Foundry School and Mission Church and was established in a temporary building in 1877 and licenced for divine service. The school moved to new premises in 1885 and a church of St Barnabas was built in red brick and consecrated as a chapel of ease in 1904.

The church separated from St Paul’s in 1912 to become parochial in its own right, and the school was renamed St Barnabas’ the following year.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1983 by the incumbent of the parish. Further additions were made to the archive in 1988, 2001, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1903-1975; register of marriages, 1912-2003; register of burials, 1936-1975; register of banns, 1967-1985; register of services, 1902-1980; register of confirmations, 1911-1924, 1927-1945; records concerning benefice income, including note of glebe, 1977, and sequestration papers, 1956, 1959, 1964, 1967; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1929-1938, 1952-1981, papers relating to the church building, 1901-1908, and fabric papers, 1918-1968; records of incumbents, including parish scrap book of notes regarding church work in parish and building of church, 1877-1918, and statistical returns, 1920-1940; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including church hall plans and report, 1938, 1955, and plans and elevations for Mission Church, 1885; school records, including plans and elevations, 1885-1894, managers' minutes of meetings, 1912-1984, governors’ agendas and minutes of meetings, 1976-1991, log books, 1877-2000, attendance registers, 1877-1983, and related papers, 1887-1938; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1908-1982, papers relating to formation of parish, 1891-1904, magazines, 1956-1983, electoral roll, 1920-1980, and historical record of St Barnabas's Church, including photographs, 1987.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2009.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1903-1960, marriages, 1912-1952, and burials, 1936-1975, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 831).

Related units of description

For related material held by the Borthwick Institute, see the parish records of York, St Paul which include papers relating to the new church of St Barnabas, 1891-c.1903.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 10.11.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area