- 1871-1968 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of York, St Clement Clementhorpe, began as a chapel of ease for the parish of St Mary Bishophill Senior. By the mid 19th century, St Mary had become the fastest growing parish in York, due largely to the growing settlement of the Clementhorpe-Bishopthorpe area outside the city walls and close to the railway works.
A new church, St Clement, was begun in 1872 and consecrated in 1874. The building was designed by York architects J. B. and W. Atkinson with later stained glass by J. W. Knowles and interior carving by Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson of Kilburn.
By 1876 St Clements had become the principal church of the parish, superceding St Mary Bishophill which was transferred to the parish of St Mary Bishophill Junior in August 1885, leaving St Clement as the parish church.
Today the parish is known as York, St Clement with St Mary Bishophill Senior.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- St. Clement's Church of England School (Subject)