- 1539-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
6 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
St Crux has been identified as one of the eight York city churches mentioned in Domesday. The parish persisted as York, St Crux until 1885 when it was joined with York, All Saints Pavement with St Peter the Little. The resulting parish of York, All Saints Pavement with St Peter the Little and St Crux was further augmented to form York All Saints Pavement and St Crux with St Saviour in 1954.
In 1987 further consolidation occurred, the parish combined with St Mary Castlegate with St Michael Spurriergate to form the current parish of York, All Saints Pavement with St Crux and St Michael Spurriergate. The city benefices have also had a complex recent past, with the most recent alteration in 1997 leaving the parish currently standing within a benefice of the same name.
The church, rebuilt in the perpendicular style in the early fifteenth century, was large for a city church. In the late seventeenth century the tower was rebuilt, topped by a cupola and several urns. However, the structure fell into decay and in 1884, parts were taken down for safety reasons and with the intention of beginning restoration work. No work was undertaken and the building was demolished and site cleared in 1887.
The St Crux hall currently standing on the site was partly constructed from some of the original masonry, and parts of the original fabric can be seen in situ forming some of the exterior walls of surrounding buildings. When the church was demolished two bells were donated to the Yorkshire Museum in York, and the fifteenth century lectern was moved to the church of All Saints Pavement.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Record Society, 'The Parish Registers of St Crux, York. Vol I, 1539-1716.' Transcribed and edited by R. Beilby Cook and Mrs F. Harrison (Leeds, 1922).
Yorkshire Parish Record Society, 'The parish register of St. Crux, York. Volume II, Baptisms 1716-1837, Marriages and Burials 1678-1837.' Transcribed and edited by Margaret E. Smith (Leeds, 1985).