- 1581-[2000s] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.23 cubic metres
17 boxes and 7 rolls
Name of creator
The church of St Cuthbert in York was mentioned in 1087 when it was held of Earl Hugh by William de Percy. The advowson of the church was held by Holy Trinity Priory from at least 1238 and passed to the Crown at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. It was transferred to the Archbishop of York in 1868.
The parish of York St Cuthbert has incorporated York, St Helen on the Walls and York, All Saints Peasholme since 1586, though they remained in use as distinct secular units until 1900. The parish also included from around this time a detached portion in Heworth in the North Riding. This portion became a consolidated chapelry and formed part of the new independent parish of Holy Trinity Heworth in 1870.
In 1966 the parish was combined with the parish of York, Holy Trinity in Goodramgate with St John Delpike and St Maurice without Monkbar and the resulting ecclesiastical parish was named York St Cuthbert, Peasholme. In 1975 the parish was amalgamated with St Michael le Belfrey and the church made redundant.
The church fabric retains sections from various periods, with part of the East wall dating from the eleventh century, and substantial portions from c. 1500. The church was restored in 1864 by Breakspear and then again in 1911-1912 by Charles Hodgson Fowler and W. H. Wood. A free standing block of offices, meeting rooms and a kitchen was added in the 1980s by Greenwood and Nicholas. Church furniture surviving from the early 1600s includes the altar table, pulpit and a reading desk.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Church of England Men's Society, York Diocesan Union (Subject)
- York County Hospital (Subject)
- York Waterworks Company (Subject)