- 1558-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.44 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Denys, York, was first mentioned in 1154-c.1170 when the advowson was given to St Leonard's Hospital for the support of the poor and infirm. The hospital held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, at which time it passed to the Crown. It was transferred to the Archbishop of York in 1868.
The city parishes of St Denys and St George were joined in 1586. The resulting parish of York, St Denys with St George consisted partly of a chapelry at Naburn, which was detached to form a parish in its own right in 1842. In 1955 the benefice was united with York St Margaret with St Peter-le-Willows, followed by a union of the two parishes in 1974.
In 1976 the benefice was further consolidated with All Saints Pavement and St Crux with St Saviour, and St Sampson with Holy Trinity, Kings Court. In 1997 this arrangement was dissolved into three benefices once more, one of which became known as simply York, St Denys, which is also currently the name of the modern parish.
The parish of St Denys comprises the segment within the York city walls which is south of the river Foss. The church of St George was reportedly left to ruin after 1586, but the location of the church is shown on an 1852 Ordnance Survey plan. Sections of the fabric date from the thirteenth to fifteenth centuries, and the church possesses a notable collection of stained glass from the fourteenth century onwards, with some perhaps even earlier. The east window was restored in the 1970s and bears a fifteenth century depiction of St Denys, the patron saint of France and Paris. In 1798 the chancel and spire were removed and the Norman doorway was moved. The tower was rebuilt in 1846 by architect Thomas Pickersgill.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material