- 1824-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church at Dringhouses was originally a chapel-of-ease dedicated to St Helen in the parish of York, Holy Trinity Micklegate. Though the church dated back to at least the sixteenth century, the structure was rebuilt in 1725. In 1847-9 a new stone church designed by the architects Vickers and Hugill of Pontefract was built and the dedication changed to St Edward the Confessor.
The chapel-of-ease became a consolidated chapelry in 1853, with the additions of portions from York, St Mary Bishophill Senior and Acomb as well as York, Holy Trinity Micklegate.
The patronage lay with the manor of Dringhouses until 1910 when it was transferred to the Archbishop of York. In 1936 the parish was reassigned to the deanery of York from the deanery of Ainsty and a boundary change in 1968 assigned a portion to supplement the new parish of St James the Deacon, Acomb Moor
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material