fonds PR/Y/HIL - Parish records of York, St Hilda, Tang Hall

Identity area

Reference code

PR/Y/HIL

Title

Parish records of York, St Hilda, Tang Hall

Date(s)

  • c 1928-1995 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.18 cubic metres

14 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1936-)

Administrative history

The parish of York, St Hilda, Tang Hall was created in 1936 out of the parishes of Holy Trinity, Heworth; York, St Lawrence, and Osbaldwick. The parish church was built between 1933 and 1934 by architect Cecil Leckenby (of Brierley Groom) to serve the new housing estate of Tang Hall. It was consecrated in 1934.

A new building replaced the original church in 2001.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1992 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1993, 1994 and 1995.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1929-1964; register of marriages, 1936-1979; register of burials, 1932-1979; register of banns, 1936-1986; register of confirmations, 1933-1981; register of services, 1929-1988; intercession roll for those serving in H M Forces from 1939; records concerning benefice income, including table of fees, 1937; churchwardens’ records, including fabric papers, including fabric fund papers, 1932-1935; records of incumbents, including dilapidations papers, 1953, incumbents' papers, 1938-1943, curate's papers, 1938, statistical returns, 1932-1939, free-will offering receipt books, 1954-1988, and service papers, 1934; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including church hall papers, c.1928-1932, including plans; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minute books, 1933-1992, accounts, 1929-1948, electoral roll, 1933, and church magazine, 1993-1995.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 1995.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

For related material held by the Borthwick Institute, see the parish records of York, St Lawrence which include a map of the consolidated chapelry of St Hilda, 1936, and the parish records of Osbaldwick with Murton.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 13.11.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area