- 1939-1997 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
8 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
The parish of Holy Redeemer, York was created in 1938 from part of the ancient parish of Acomb. The parish church of Holy Redeemer was built in the 1960s and incorporates material from the demolished medieval parish church of St Mary Bishophill Senior, although the existing parish of St Mary Bishophill Senior is not otherwise connected.
The church, designed by the architect George Pace, features an amalgamation of modern and ancient artefacts, with fragments of Saxon and fourteenth-century stone crosses appearing alongside a font and a pulpit created in 1964, the year of the church’s consecration.
Today the parish is known as The Holy Redeemer, Acomb.