- 1559-2009 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.29 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Holy Trinity was confirmed to the priory of Durham Cathedral in the 1120s. The parish was originally part of the archdeaconry of Cleveland but later lay in the archdeaconry of York. In 1586 the parish was united with St John-del-Pyke and St Maurice’s to become Holy Trinity in Goodramgate with St John Del pike and St Maurice without Monkbar. Minster Yard with Bedern was also added in 1869.
In 1966 part of the parish was united with St Thomas, with St Thomas becoming the parish church, whilst the rest of the parish was united with St Michael le Belfrey to form St Michael le Belfrey with Holy Trinity Goodramgate. In 1975 the name was altered to simply St Michael le Belfrey.
Much of the fabric of Holy Trinity church itself dates from the fifteenth century, and the east window was donated in the 1470s by a rector of the church. Most of the fittings date to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, including the only original box pews to survive in York. The church became redundant in 1971 and is currently cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material