- 1616-1938 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.23 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Holy Trinity, King's Court, often known as Christ Church, was first recorded in 1268 when the rector was ordained sub deacon. The advowson was alienated to St Michael's Hospital at Well in the North Riding in the early fifteenth century and remained so after the Dissolution.
The ancient church, dating chiefly to the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, was demolished in 1861 with the exception of the East wall which was incorporated into the new building.
In 1886 the parish and benefice were united with York, St Sampson's and the church went out of use. In 1896, sheep were reportedly kept in the building by parishioners and the building was finally demolished in 1937. Of the original furnishings, the altar table was apparently moved to York, St Mary Bishophill Junior whilst the organ and pulpit went to Poppleton in the West Riding.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
York Family History Society, ‘The Parish Registers of Holy Trinity, King's Court, York, 1813-1837’ (1979).
Yorkshire Parish Record Society, ‘The Parish Registers of Holy Trinity, King's Court, York, 1631-1812.’ Transcribed by Walter J. Kaye (1928).