fonds PR/Y/HTM - Parish records of York, Holy Trinity, Micklegate

Identity area

Reference code

PR/Y/HTM

Title

Parish records of York, Holy Trinity, Micklegate

Date(s)

  • 1548-1990 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.28 cubic metres

23 boxes, 6 rolls and 2 oversize items

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1586-)

Administrative history

Though its earliest history is unclear, the church of Holy Trinity (also known as Christ Church) was the priory church of a Benedictine monastery on the site from at least the late thirteenth century. The parish church of St Nicholas was physically adjoined to Holy Trinity, and distinction between the two entities was often the subject of conflict and confusion. The priory was dissolved in 1538 and the churches formally united in 1586.

The parish of Holy Trinity Micklegate originally included the detached townships of Dringhouses and Knapton in addition to the portion in the City of York. In 1853 the chapelry of St Edward Dringhouses became a parish in its own right. The parish of Holy Trinity was united with York, St John Ousebridge in 1934, and with St Martin cum Gregory in 1953. The parish boundaries were altered in 1968 to establish the new parish of St James the Deacon at Acomb and in 1986 the benefice of York Holy Trinity Micklegate with St John and St Martin cum Gregory was united with that of St Mary Bishophill Junior and All Saints North Street. The parish is currently known by the name York, Holy Trinity Micklegate.

The fabric includes the original nave of the priory church with late twelfth century features and a tower rebuilt by the parishioners in the mid fifteenth century. The church was restored by Walter Harvey Brook in the late nineteenth century and the west end was remodelled in the early years of the twentieth. The medieval building known as Jacob's Well on Trinity Lane was originally gifted to the parish in 1566 by the last prioress of Clementhorpe, Isabel Ward, and used for the benefit of the poor of the parish until at least 1687. Later the building was used for other purposes, but was reacquired by Holy Trinity in 1904 and restored by Walter Harvey Brook. It is now the parish room.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1967 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1984, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1999 and 2005.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1586-1945 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1777-1812. W F H Bateman edited this register up to the year 1777); register of marriages, 1586-1975 (W F H Bateman edited this register up to the year 1753); register of burials, 1586-1850 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1777-1812. W F H Bateman edited this register up to the year 1777); register of banns, 1754-1807, 1934-1963; forms of service, 1762-1902; register of services, 1978-1990; register of confirmations, 1972 (contains also confirmations for Buttercrambe, 1970, Full Sutton, 1963-1966, Harton, 1970, Howsham, 1963, Leppington, 1966, Scrayingham, 1963-1970, and Skirpenbeck, 1963-1964); records concerning benefice income, including rectors' accounts, 1786-1805, glebe papers, 1888-1961; charity records, including minutes of meetings 1921-1926, accounts, 1831-1926, deeds for York, 1548-1687, and lists of charity recipients, 1858-1860; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1683-1926, rates, 1860-1862, restoration papers, 1883-1906, fabric papers, 1832-1933, and choir boys salaries, 1891-1902; records of incumbents, including parsonage house papers, 1897-1933, and benefice papers, 1984-1986; overseers’ records, including accounts, 1810-1837, settlement certificates, 1735, 1784, bastardy bonds, 1734-1807, maintenance orders and agreements, 1787-1811, and apprenticeship indentures, 1752-1759; school records, including correspondence and papers, 1947-1956, deeds, 1852, 1928, and managers' minutes of meetings, 1947-1956; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including accounts, 1944-1946, 1948, 1951, minutes of meetings 1788-1986, and parish maps, c.1890; prints and photographs, n.d., 1951.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2005, in addition to two further items received as a later date.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1586-1945, marriages, 1586-1947, and burials, 1586-1850, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 829-830, 1755).

Related units of description

Drawings, plans, elevations and photographs concerning the restoration of the church are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute as part of the 'W. H. Brook Architectural Papers' (Reference: UL13).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 12.11.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area