- 1570-1960 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St John, Ouse Bridge End, was first mentioned in a papal confirmation of minster properties in 1194. The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York and was annexed, along with five other churches, to St Martin Coney Street between 1331 and 1443.
A proposal was made in 1548 to unite St John’s with All Saints North Street but this was later abandoned and the parish was not otherwise affected by the consolidation of York parishes that took place following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. In 1934 when the benefice and parish were united with Holy Trinity, Micklegate.
Holy Trinity became the parish church of the expanded parish and St John’s Church was closed in 1939. It was re-opened in 1956 by the York Academic Trust as an Institute of Architectural Study, and was later sold and converted into a licensed bar.
An alteration of the parish boundaries with Acomb, Dringhouses and St Paul and the formation of St James the Deacon, Acomb Moor all took place on the 8th May 1968.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material