- 1606-1997 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.35 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Lawrence, Lawrence Street was confirmed to the Dean and Chapter of York in 1194 and remained subject to their peculiar jurisdiction until the twentieth century. A vicarage was ordained at an unknown date and in 1365 the parish was united with that of St Michael’s Walmgate. In 1586 it was united with St Helen’s, Fishergate, and All Saints’, Fishergate, and from 1644 it shared a benefice with the united parishes of St Edward and St Nicholas, following the destruction of St Nicholas’ Church during the Siege of York.
The vicarage was augmented in 1742 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and received additional lands and money from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1870.
The parish consisted of an area in York and around half of the township of Heslington, but in 1869 the latter portion became part of the new parish of St Paul’s, Heslington. In 1871 a part of Fulford parish, known as New Fulford, was annexed to St Lawrence, as was the united parish of St Edward and St Nicholas in 1885. St Lawrence Church was demolished in 1881-1883 and replaced with a new, larger structure for the expanded parish, designed by J. B. Hall of Canterbury, and with stained glass by J. W. Knowles of York.
Today the parish is known as St Lawrence with St Nicholas, York.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes register of christenings, 1606-1638, 1661-1959 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1779-1812); register of marriages, 1606-1638, 1662-1975; register of burials, 1606-1637, 1662-1867 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1778-1812); register of banns, 1943-1970; register of services, 1909-1982; register of confirmations, 1909-1945; records concerning benefice income, including synodals and procurations receipts, 1847-1852, tithe accounts, 1794-1803, tithe rentals, 1843, 1852-1858, 1860-1865, 1867-1868, 1872, 1875-1880, glebe papers, 1843-1863, and correspondence, 1843-1871; charity records, including deed, 1894, and order for closing church cottages, 1913; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1674-1895, and fabric papers, 1898-1973; papers of the feoffees, 1702-1959; records of incumbent, including dilapidations papers, 1943-1971, and statistical returns, 1928-1936; overseers’ records, including accounts, 1784-1837, 1868-1885; collecting and deposit books of the Collector of the Poor Rate, 1886-1894, monthly statement book of the Collector of the Poor Rate, 1886-1892, and counterfoil receipt books for parish poor rates, 1885-1894; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including deed and correspondence, 1931, 1946, 1951-1954; school records, including plans 1951, 1968, and agreement for access road, 1955; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1821-1852, 1909-1938, electoral roll, n.d, map of boundaries, with report, 1871, 1936, accounts, 1867-1955, and magazines, 1962-1964; church inventory, 1997.
Unlisted material, comprising miscellaneous parish papers, mainly relating to Heslington, including settlement certificates, bastardy bonds, orders for removal, orders for maintenance of pauper lunatics, curates' licenses, churchwardens' receipts and subscriptions, 1707-1861.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material