Fondo PR/Y/LUK - Parish records of York, St Luke

Área de identidad

Código de referencia



Parish records of York, St Luke


  • 1902-2013 (Creación)

Nivel de descripción


Volumen y soporte

0.18 cubic metres

10 boxes

Área de contexto

Nombre del productor


Historia administrativa

The church of St Luke was built on Burton Stone Lane between 1900 and 1902 to serve as a chapel of ease to St Thomas. Designed by James Demaine and Walter Brierley, it was consecrated on 12 April 1902.

In 1910 it separated from St Thomas to join with York, St Olave parish. It was granted a license to conduct marriages in 1920 and in 1930 it was assigned a consolidated chapelry and separated from St Olave to form an independent parish. An alteration of the boundaries with St Philip and St James, Clifton occurred on the 27th Nov 1961.

Historia archivística

Origen del ingreso o transferencia

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1975 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1982, 1997, 2008, 2012 and 2014.

Área de contenido y estructura

Alcance y contenido

Includes register of christenings, 1902-2004; register of marriages, 1921-1996; register of burials, 1949-1975; register of banns, 1921-1984; register of services, 1907-1988, 2008-2013; churchwardens’ records, including fabric papers, 1928-1973, 1978 (organ); records of incumbent, including preacher's book, 1902-1906, and curate's papers 1975; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including Mothers' Union minutes of meetings, 1931-1953, and Youth Club accounts, 1961-1963; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1901-1921, 1928-1976, 1980-1997, 1999-2003, 2005-2006, 2008-2011, correspondence and papers, 1932-1950, 1982-1992, accounts, 1905-1982, and electoral roll, 1936-1978.


Further accruals are expected.

Sistema de arreglo

Área de condiciones de acceso y uso

Condiciones de acceso

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.


A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras

Características físicas y requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descripción

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2008. Later material has not yet been listed.

Uploaded finding aid

Área de materiales relacionados

Existencia y localización de originales

Existencia y localización de copias

Registers of christenings, 1902-1964, marriages, 1921-1973, and burials, 1949-1975, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 846).

Unidades de descripción relacionadas

Descripciones relacionadas

Área de notas

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control de la descripción

Identificador de la descripción

Identificador de la institución

GB 193

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación revisión eliminación

Created by S. A. Shearn, 20.11.15




Área de Ingreso