fonds PR/Y/MARG - Parish records of York, St Margaret, Walmgate

Identity area

Reference code



Parish records of York, St Margaret, Walmgate


  • 1394-1977 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.2 cubic metres

18 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 12th century-)

Administrative history

The church of York, St Margaret, Walmgate was first mentioned in a charter dated between 1177 and 1181 which granted the advowsons of St Margaret’s and St Mary’s, Walmgate, to St Leonard’s Hospital, York. By 1308 the two churches were united as one benefice and the advowson remained with St Leonard’s until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, when it passed to the Crown. In 1868 it was transferred to the Archbishop of York.

In 1548 a proposal was made to unite the parish with that of St Peter le Willows, and this took place in 1586. In 1649 the only income of the benefice was said to come from the rental of a tenement in Walmgate. This was augmented in 1717, 1754 and 1787 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, which was used to buy land at Murton, Fulford and Clifton. A further augmentation was received through the parliamentary fund in 1815 and the parish church was largely rebuilt in 1851-1852 by architect Thomas Pickersgill, with later stained glass by J. W. Knowles of York.

In 1974 the parish united with that of York, St Denys with St George, and the church of St Margaret was closed. Since 2000 it has housed the National Centre for Early Music.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1974 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1975, 1982, 1988, 1997 and 2000.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1558-1970 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1784-1803); register of marriages, 1558-1973; register of burials, 1558-1854 (note this register uses the Dade registration scheme for the years 1784-1812); register of banns, 1848-1973; register of services, 1880-1973; register of confirmations and Communicants, 1910-1936; records concerning benefice income, including lists of fees, 1540, 1880, correspondence and papers, 1591-1608, 1880-1892, 1927, 1955, 1960-1961, glebe papers, 1897, and tithe papers, 1933-1950; charity records, including accounts, 1843-1975, correspondence and papers, 1740, 1904-1974, and deeds for Heworth, 1740-1892; churchwardens’ records, including accounts of wardens of fabric, 1394, accounts of wardens of Guild of St Anne, 1397, accounts, 1803-1883, 1953-1956, restoration papers, 1851-1852, 1880, 1885, fabric papers, 1839, 1846, 1925-1974, churchyard papers, 1854, lists of churchwardens, 1667-1692, elections of churchwardens, 1817-1908, and report on bells, 1977; records of incumbent, including sermon notes, c.1950, scrap book of notes covering the dates 1219-1954, papers regarding House of laity, Diocesan and Deanery Synods, 1970-1971, parsonage house papers, 1757,1767, 1889, 1955-1956, dilapidations papers, 1954, and photographs and sketches of rectors, 1892-1916; overseers’ records, including accounts, 1802-1830, and assessments, 1835-1837; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including letter about hall sale, 1959; school records, including managers' minutes of meetings, 1862-1881, 1903-1938, accounts, 1862-1881, 1895-1903, 1939-1956, correspondence and papers, 1863-1934, and building survey, 1897; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1908-1971, insurance papers, 1897, 1975, correspondence and papers, 1954, protestation return, 1641, electoral roll register, 1939-1953, and accounts, 1922-1974.


Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English
  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2000.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1574-1970, marriages, 1575-1973, burials, 1576-1854, and banns, 1848-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 847-848, 1763).

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 19.11.15




Accession area