- 1650-1967 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Maurice was first mentioned in a document dated between 1195 and 1210 when it was held by the Dean and Chapter of York and subject to their peculiar jurisdiction. It was annexed to the Prebends of Fridaythorpe and Fenton until the 13th century when Archbishop Gray united the moieties as one rectory under the Prebend of Fenton, who retained it until the 16th century. A vicarage was ordained there in 1240. The parish lay outside of the city walls and close to Monk Bar.
In 1586 the parish, together with that of St John del Pyke, was united with Holy Trinity Goodramgate to become Holy Trinity in Goodramgate with St John del Pyke and St Maurice without Monkbar. St Maurice’s Church was retained however and continued to be used until the 1870s when it was replaced by a more modern, larger building, designed by architect Charles Fisher of York.
In 1966 part of the parish was united with St Thomas to form the parish of St Thomas with St Maurice, and the remainder was joined with St Michael le Belfrey. St Thomas’ became the parish church and St Maurice’s Church was demolished the following year.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material