- 1565-2012 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.79 cubic metres
58 boxes and 1 oversize volume
Name of creator
There was a church of St Michael le Belfrey in York from at least 1294 when it was in the hands of the Dean and Chapter of York and subject to their peculiar jurisdiction. From around 1331 until 1443 it was annexed to St Martin Coney Street.
It appears that for centuries the chief income was from offerings; in 1764 there were no houses, tenements or glebe belonging to the curacy. Queen Anne’s Bounty provided augmentation in 1774 which was used to purchase land in Wigginton. This was supplemented by parliamentary fund in 1812, 1820 and 1823, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners awarded various revenue sources throughout the nineteenth century.
The church sits adjacent to York Minster. The present church was built between 1525 and 1536 by John Forman, Master Mason to the Minster. A gallery was erected in 1785 to meet the requirements of an enlarged congregations and the church was restored in 1867 by architect George Fowler Jones. Its reredos and communion rail were carved in 1712 by William Etty and its stained glass includes an 1896 window by J. W. Knowles of York.
The ancient parish of York, St Michael le Belfrey was united with the parish of York, St Wilfred in 1586 as part of a widespread conglomeration of “decayed” City parishes into more viable units. It remained intact until 1855 when part of the parish was alienated and joined with other units to form York, St Thomas with St Maurice. St Michael le Belfrey persisted, and gained the ex-parochial area of York Mint Yard in 1879.
In 1966 it was united with York, Trinity in Goodramgate with St John Delpike and St Maurice without Monkbar to form the ecclesiastical parish of York, St Michael le Belfrey and Trinity Goodramgate. The parish continues to be known by the name York, St Michael le Belfrey.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The parish registers of St Michael le Belfrey, York. 1565-1653.' Transcribed and edited by Francis Collins (Leeds, 1899).
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The parish registers of St Michael le Belfrey, York. 1653-1778.' Transcribed and edited by Francis Collins (Leeds, 1901).