- 1602-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.23 cubic metres
16 boxes and 7 rolls
Name of creator
The church of York, St Mary Bishophill Junior was first mentioned in a papal confirmation of 1194, although parts of the building date from the 11th century. It is thought that its ‘junior’ designation refers to the earlier foundation of the neighbouring church of St Mary Bishophill Senior.
A 1294 valuation of the church and its parish showed that it included the outlying townships of Holgate, Copmanthorpe and Poppleton, making it one of the wealthiest parishes in York. Two chapels of ease were built to serve the inhabitants of Copmanthorpe and Poppleton at some point prior to 1556.
The church was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York until 1836 and was not affected by the consolidation of parishes that took place in York in the 16th century. In 1844 the outlying chapelries were detached to form a new benefice, Copmanthorpe with Upper Poppleton. In 1866 Upper Poppleton was severed from Copmanthorpe and united with Nether Poppleton to form the parish of Nether Poppleton with Upper Poppleton.
In 1856 the remainder of the outlying parts of St Mary’s parish were detached to form the new parish of St Paul Holgate; St Paul’s Church was consecrated on 3 June of that year. St Mary's Church was restored in 1860 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York. The reredos was added by Temple Moore in the 1880s
In 1885 two small portions of the parish were transferred to St Mary Bishophill Senior with St Clement. The church of St Mary Bishophill Senior was demolished in 1963 and today St Mary Bishophill Junior is part of a joint parish with York, St Clement with St Mary Bishophill Senior.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material