- 1598-1985 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.36 cubic metres
25 boxes and 4 rolls
Name of creator
The church of York, St Mary Bishophill Senior was first mentioned in a quitclaim of 1202 but is believed to predate the neighbouring church of St Mary Bishophill Junior, affording it the ‘senior’ or ‘elder’ designation. The patronage of the church and parish was divided between two separate parties from this time until the end of the 18th century when it became a single rectory in the control of the Crown, who in 1868 transferred the patronage to the Archbishop of York.
In 1548 the proposal was made to unite St Mary’s with Clementhorpe, the parish attached to the priory church of St Clement’s, York, which had become redundant following the suppression of its nunnery. The two parishes were united in 1586 and comprised of an area around St Mary’s Church, now the parish church, and the townships of Middlethorpe and Clementhorpe. The benefice was further augmented in 1744, 1758 and 1760 through Queen Anne’s Bounty.
In 1853 a part of the parish was transferred to the new parish of St Edward the Confessor Dringhouses, together with parts of Holy Trinity Micklegate and Acomb, and in 1866 parts of Middlethorpe and Dringhouses were joined to the parish of Bishopthorpe.
Despite these changes, by the mid-19th century, St Mary Bishophill Senior had become the fastest growing parish in York, due largely to the growing settlement of the Clementhorpe-Bishopthorpe area outside the city walls and close to the railway works. As a result, a new church, dedicated to St Clement, was opened in Clementhorpe in 1874 as a chapel of ease. Two years later it was substituted for St Mary’s as the parish church and in 1885 the church of St Mary’s Bishophill Senior became part of the parish of St Mary Bishophill Junior in exchange for two small portions of the parish. In 1926 another chapel of ease, York, St Chad, was created; it separated from St Mary Bishophill in 1928 to form its own parish.
The church of St Mary Senior was later demolished in 1963. Today the parish survives as part of the parish of York, St Clement with St Mary Bishophill Senior, which is in a joint parish with York, St Mary Bishophill Junior.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material