- 1604-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.42 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Mary Castlegate was dedicated in the late 10th or early 11th century and appears in Domesday when the advowson of the rectory was held by the Percy family. They retained the advowson until 1537 when it passed to the Crown.
The parish was not affected by the consolidation of city parishes that took place in the 16th century. In 1761 and 1774 the living was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty, which funds were used to buy land at Alne and Scrayingham. In 1814 it received additional funds from a parliamentary grant, and in 1843 and 1883 this was augmented further by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Parts of the church were rebuilt in 1868-1870 by William Butterfield, with stained glass by J. W. Knowles.
In 1885 the benefice was united with that of St Michael Spurriergate but both churches remained in use. In 1936 the two parishes were formally joined to become York St Mary Castlegate with St Michael Spurriergate and in 1972 St Mary’s Church was declared redundant. The interior was subsequently remodelled in 1974-1975 by George Pace and Ronald Sims. Today the church is run by York Museums Trust as a centre for contemporary art exhibitions.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material