- 1271-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.5 cubic metres
30 boxes and 1 roll
Name of creator
The church of St Martin, Coney Street, was first mentioned in a document of c.1160-1180. The church was confirmed to the Dean and Chapter of York in 1194 and a vicarage was ordained there by the thirteenth century. Between 1331 and 1443, six other York churches belonging to the Dean and Chapter were annexed to St Martin; these were St Michael le Belfrey, St John’s Ousebridge, St Mary’s Layerthorpe, St Andrew’s, St John’s and one moiety of St Helen-on-the-Walls. St Martin’s Church was completely rebuilt in the 15th century, making it one of the grandest in York.
The parish was not affected by the consolidation of city parishes that took place in the 16th century and remained under the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York. The vicarage was augmented from Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1761, the money being used to purchase land at Nun Monkton, and in 1864 and 1884 it received further funds from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Common Fund respectively. The church underwent a significant restoration in the 1850s, carried out by architects J. B and W. Atkinson of York. From this period it was often known as St Martin le Grand.
In 1910 the benefice of St Helen Stonegate was united with that of St Martin’s. St Helen’s Church remained in use and in 1942, following the destruction of St Martin’s Church by an enemy bomb, it became the principal church for both parishes. The two parishes were formally united in 1954 to become St Helen with St Martin and in 1961-1968 St Martin’s Church was rebuilt by George Pace and re-opened in the latter year. The church has retained its original medieval stained glass window, which had fortunately been removed for safe keeping in 1940. Its east window is by Harry Stammers, c.1965.
Today St Helen with St Martin is part of a group of city parishes under a single priest-in-charge which includes All Saints Pavement, St Denys and St Olave.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Yorkshire Parish Register Society, 'The parish registers of St Martin, Coney Street, York. 1557-1812.' Transcribed and edited by Robert Beilby Cook (Leeds, 1909).
Yorkshire Family History Society, ‘The parish registers of St Martin, Coney Street, York, 1813-1837.’ Transcribed and edited by Margaret E. Smith (York, 1978).