- 1539-1966 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.29 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of St Martin cum Gregory was formed in 1586 when the parish of St Martin, Micklegate, was united with that of St Gregory. St Gregory’s Church was subsequently demolished and St Martin’s became the parish church under the name St Martin cum Gregory.
St Martin’s Church was first mentioned in a document dated between 1170 and 1180. By 1230 the advowson of the rectory was in private hands, and it remained so until 1924 when it passed to the Dean and Chapter of York. The united benefice was augmented in 1726 through Queen Anne’s Bounty and included 75 acres at Drax, as well as lands at Carthorpe and Wilberfoss by the late 19th century. The church was largely rebuilt in 1844-1845 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York. Its stained glass includes work by celebrated glass-painter William Peckitt (who is buried in the chancel), as well as J. W. Knowles.
The parish was closed for banns and marriages on 22 December 1947 and on 1 August 1953 it was united with Holy Trinity Micklegate, which by then also included the parish of St John, Ousebridge. St Martin cum Gregory Church was subsequently made redundant and in 2008 it was developed as a stained glass centre.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material