- 1321-1994 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.47 cubic metres
Name of creator
The advowson of the church of St Michael Spurriergate was granted to St Mary’s Abbey at the time of the Norman Conquest and was confirmed to them between 1088 and 1093. St Mary’s held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when it passed to the Crown, and then in 1868 to the Archbishop of York.
The parish was not affected by the consolidation of city parishes that took place in the 16th century. The benefice was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1758 and 1761, and by the Parliamentary Fund in 1815, the funds being used to purchase land at Flawith in Alne. In 1812 a part of the churchyard was sold to York Corporation for the rebuilding of Ouse Bridge. The church was partially rebuilt in 1867-1868 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York and the interior was restored in 1965-1969 by George Pace.
In 1885 the benefice was united with that of St Mary Castlegate, but both churches remained in use. In 1936 the two parishes were formally joined to become St Mary Castlegate with St Michael Spurriergate and in 1953 St Michael’s Church was relicensed to perform marriages.
St Michael’s Church closed in 1984 and converted into a cafe and restaurant in 1989 by architect Ronald Sims. Today the parish forms part of the combined parish of All Saints Pavement with St Crux and St Michael Spurriergate. The parish church is now All Saints Pavement.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material