- 1851-2016 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of York, St Paul was originally part of the parish of St Mary Bishophill Junior. The church of St Paul, Holgate, was built in 1850-1851 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York and consecrated on 3 Jan 1856. It separated from St Mary Bishophill Junior to form its own parish on 30 Jan 1856 and was declared a rectory in 1866. The church includes a 1951 stained glass window by Harry Stammers.
Between 1902 and 1904 a new church, St Barnabas, was built on Leeman Road as a chapel of ease for St Paul’s parish. It was consecrated in 1904 and separated from St Paul’s in 1912.
An alteration of the boundaries with Acomb, Dringhouses and Holy Trinity Micklegate and the formation of St James the Deacon, Acomb Moor, occurred on the 8th May 1968.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material