fonds PR/Y/PJC - Parish records of York, St Philip and St James, Clifton

Identity area

Reference code

PR/Y/PJC

Title

Parish records of York, St Philip and St James, Clifton

Date(s)

  • 1858-2010 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.76 cubic metres

48 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1871-)

Administrative history

The church of York, St Philip and St James was built between 1866 and 1867 by architect George Fowler Jones and consecrated in the latter year. The church includes stained glass by J. W. Knowles of York. The interior was reordered in 1984-1989 by Ronald Sims.

In 1871 the church was assigned a consolidated chapelry from detached portions of St Michael le Belfrey and St Olave’s parishes which lay in Clifton. The boundaries with St. Luke were changed in 1961.

Today York, St Philip and St James is part of the benefice of Clifton, which also includes Clifton Moor and Rawcliffe.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1975 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1977, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1989, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1871-1971; register of marriages, 1871-2009; register of burials, 1950-1981; register of banns, 1954-1983; register of confirmations, 1954-1981; register of services, 1867-1978; register of Services at Rawcliffe Church Room, St Mark's, Rawcliffe, 1962-1980; records concerning benefice income, including papers relating to the endowment of benefice and curate's fund, 1867-1932, and papers 1970-1971; charity records, including correspondence and papers, 1896-1955, 1963-1980, including John Roper's Charity, George Stephenson's Charity, Clifton Girls' School Charity, Miss A F Brideoake Will Trust; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1876-1923, 1945-1946, 1954-1956, fabric papers, 1896-1961, 1967-1987, St Mark's building papers, 1961-1972, fabric papers for St Mark's, Rawcliffe, 1985-1987; records of incumbents, including correspondence and music for anthem composed for centenary service, 1966-1967, dilapidations, 1954, 1973, dilapidations assessment, 1969, parsonage house papers, 1879, 1953-1955, benefice papers, 1970-1971, incumbents papers, 1966-1988, and service papers for St Marks, Rawcliffe, 1968; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including minutes of meetings of Church Missionary Society, 1879-1931, correspondence regarding parish rooms, 1909-1956, Mission and Reading Room minutes of meetings, with accounts and deed, 1924-1962, Men's Group minutes of meetings, 1962-1967, programmes and correspondence 1966-1968, Parish hall and Rawcliffe village hall insurance papers, 1961-1978, and Youth Club accounts, 1964-1965; school records, including managers' minutes of meetings, 1876-1903, 1916-1932, 1951-1956, accounts, 1878-1937, correspondence and papers, 1881-1970, correspondence regarding old school hall, 1969-1985, Sunday School registers, 1972, Clifton Church kindergarten nativity play programme, 1970s, script for children's play, n.d. [early 20th century]; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1872-2010, accounts, 1876-1970, minutes of meetings of promoters of scheme for new parish, 1861-1869, papers regarding formation of parish, 1858-1921, papers relating to the alteration of the parish bounds, c.1927-1961, correspondence regarding proposed conventual district, 1935-1939, magazines, 1879-1900, 1925-1982, St Mark's Rawcliffe committee reports, 1974-1975, accounts and financial papers, 1967-2008, insurance papers, 1961-1978, electoral rolls, 1968, 1984, 1991, correspondence and papers, including property papers, 1867-1986, parish magazines, 1958-1993.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 2015.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1871-1971, and marriages, 1871-1979, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 871-873).

Related units of description

For related material held by the Borthwick Institute, see the parish records of York, St Michael Spurriergate which include a letter concerning the creation of the consolidated chapelry of St Philip and St James, Clifton, 1871.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 30.11.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area