- 1640-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
14 boxes and 1 folder
Name of creator
The church of St Sampson was first recorded in 1154 when it was granted to Pontefract Priory by King Stephen. By the 14th century the advowson had reverted to the Crown who granted it to the college of vicars choral, with whom it remained until 1934. The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York.
The church was largely rebuilt between 1845 and 1848 by architect Frederick Bell of York. In 1865 the chancel ceiling was painted by J. W. Knowles, who also supplied new stained glass windows the following year. The church was restored in 1875 by Charles Hodgson Fowler and then again in 1881 and 1905.
In 1548 the union of the parish of York, St Sampson with that of York, St Helen on Stonegate was considered but ultimately not carried out. The parish was united with Holy Trinity King's Court on the 26th Jun 1886, and with All Saints Pavement 23rd May 1969, at which time the church was made redundant.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material