- 1567-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.19 cubic metres
10 boxes and 2 rolls.
Name of creator
The church of St Saviour was first mentioned c.1088-1093 when its patronage was granted to St Mary's Abbey, York, who retained it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. It was largely rebuilt in 1450 and had at least eight chantries, the largest number in the city in a single church. The north and south aisles of the church were rebuilt in 1844-1845 by R. H. Sharp and the south vestry was added in 1878 by W. G. Penty.
In 1586 St Saviour was united with York, St John, Hungate (also known as St John in the Marsh) and York, St Andrew's, Andrewgate. St John’s Church was demolished in the 16th century, whilst St Andrew’s Church was partially demolished and later became an infant school.
In September 1869 the new parish of Holy Trinity, Heworth, was formed from part of the parish and it formally separated from St Saviour on 4 June 1870. On 24 June 1954 York, St Saviour was united with the parish of York, All Saints Pavement, and St Saviour's Church became redundant on 23 May 1969.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material