- 1855-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of York, St Thomas was created in 1855 when it separated from York, St Olave to form its own parish in the north of the city. The parish church of St Thomas on Lowther Street had been designed by architect George Fowler Jones in 1853-1854 and consecrated the latter year. The church was enlarged in 1899.
In 1902 the church of St Luke on Burton Stone Lane was consecrated as a chapel of ease to St Thomas’. In March 1910 it separated from St Thomas’ to unite with St Olave.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material