- 1830-1872 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Wilfrid, Blake Street, was first mentioned in a charter dated between 1145 and 1148. In a grant dated between 1155 and 1165 the patronage of the church was given to St Mary’s Abbey, York, who held it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century.
In 1548 a proposal was made to unite the parish with that St Michael le Belfrey and the churchyard, possibly along with the church grounds, were granted to a York citizen the following year. The two parishes were united c.1586 and came under the pecular jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York. The church itself was likely demolished in the 16th century but the parish survived for secular purposes until 1900.
Since 1864 a Catholic Church dedicated to St Wilfrid has occupied a nearby site in Little Blake Street.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material