- 1654-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church of Yapham cum Meltonby from at least the twelfth century, although the independent parish was only formed in 1989. Prior to this date, the church had been attached to that of Pocklington and the parish was described as a chapelry of Pocklington in 1892, subject to the same peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York until the 1840s. An exchange of parts of the parish with Barmby Moor took place on 8 April 1960.
The present parish church is dedicated to St Martin, although it had been dedicated to St Nicholas until the nineteenth century. It dates to the thirteenth century but was largely rebuilt in 1777-1778 and then restored c.1902 by architect William Anelay.
Today Yapham cum Meltonby parish is part of the Barmby Moor Group benefice, which also includes Barmby Moor, Fangfoss and Thornton on Spalding Moor.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material