- 1717-2016 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Yedingham from at least the thirteenth century, when it was given by Anketin de Heslerton to Yedingham Priory. It was appropriated to the priory, and a vicarage ordained there, in 1231. The Priory held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, after which it appears to have passed into private hands. By the 1760s it was held by the Marquis of Rockingham and by the 1840s by Earl Fitzwilliam.
The present parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist and dates largely to the restoration of 1862-1864, although it incorporates parts of the medieval building. The restoration was carried out by architect W. Tuke of Bradford.
Today Yedingham is part of the parish of West and East Heslerton with Yedingham within the united benefice of Buckrose Carrs.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material